- Which is the best description of an adaptation?
a) a characteristic that helps an organism avoid predators
b) a characteristic that helps an organism find food
c)a characteristic that evolves
d)a characteristic that helps an organism survive and reproduce
- Which is not an example of a structural adaptation?
a) the white fur of polar bears
b) putting on a coat to stay warm
c) the secretions a clown fish makes as protection from sea anemones
- A large group of animals migrates from a summer breeding ground to a warmer wintering ground. Which type of adaptation does this example represent?
a) behavioral adaptation
- Saguaro cacti, elf owls, horned lizards, and fire ants all share the same area of a desert. Which of the following groups is a population?
a)all of the species living in that area of the desert
b)all of the plants growing in that area of the desert
c)all of the elf owls, horned lizards, and fire ants living in that area of the desert
d)all of the fire ants living in that area of the desert
- Which of the following is a gene pool?
a)all alleles of one trait
b)all genes of a single individual
c)all genes of all individuals in a specific population
d)all genes of individuals of the same species