Featured Answer

Why are humans so weak?

Why is it that a tiger can easily win a human in a physical fight? Why is it that a human is an omnivore but cannot use its jaws to eat an animal raw? like in the wild... Why is it that a human speed is so slow? Why is it that a human cannot adapt to the wild life? if left in the wild, most of humans will not be able to cope. Why? What humans have is the brains only. Sigh... Also, we do not have any physical weapons in our body. Like no venom, no claws (Just some blunt nails).

Sad right? if one day, there is really no more resources in the world, like no fuel to burn anymore, no rubber to grow anymore, no space to grow food, then we will have to fight for survival in the wild. But people like those people who likes to camp outside and scout for food might still survive, but what about those that only like to play computer games all day? and those that had never camped before? Sigh man...

One of the sad things about human nature is that the weakest live too. Like those with disabilities. I know its cruel to say this. But in the wild, if we really are somewhere in the middle of the food chain, those smaller guys and girls like me, i am of a small build, might not be able to fight the predator right?

This question is not intended to offend people, just a question to ask WHY ARE HUMANS SO WEAK?

Overall we had the brains, but what if there are no resources in the future? like the earth temperature's rising. What if we had used up our resources?

Answers (3)

Collapse
twfbafihaa profile image
Collapse
aa11612723 profile image

Humans appear to be designed for endurance (look up Persistence Hunting or Endurance Hunting). The first form of hunting appears to have been a persistence hunt in which men chased an ungulate, such as a large animal, until the beast died of heat stroke. Men lost their hair so that they could sweat, would go out in over 120 degree weather (intentionally as hot as possible), and chase the animals. Most animals can run very fast for a short period of time, but have no endurance, so they would continue chasing them, forcing them to get up and run every time they tried to rest. Eventually the animal was run to death and got heat stroke. This hunting method is still practiced amongst the San People in Southern Africa. They basically run 12-26 miles for up to six hours. Yes they are slower than the antelope, but their persistence pays off. We were designed for endurance, rather than strength (also, two legs use less energy than four, and we can carry water to avoid heat stroke, but animals cannot. Of land mammals I we have the ability to run the furthest without stoping. Yes a cheetah is faster than us for a minute, but it could never run 145 miles in 29 hours, nor could any other land mammal come close (except sled dogs, but they are running in cold weather, not 100+ degrees.

As for surviving in the wild, the ability to do so is based on the culture an individual was raised in. There are still indigenous cultures in Africa and South America that live traditional lives. They grew up doing so, you did not. They know what to eat and how to get it. Their advantage is culturally based.

As for your disability comment, we never know what trait will have a selective advantage. Look up sickle cell anemia and Malaria and you will find that sickle cell anemia is a horrible disease, but having one dominant gene and another recessive will give you immunity to malaria. So, on average, in areas in Africa that have malaria a parent will have a 50% chance their child will be dominant/recessive and immune from malaria, a 25% chance they will get the recessive recessive genes, giving them sickle cell anemia, and a 25% chance they will get no additional immunity. Now,in areas like the above mentioned, having 50% of your children immune from malaria at the cost of 25% with sickle cell and 25% with no immunity is a pretty good deal. Half of your children will survive. By ridding the world of the disorder, you would also destroy the cure. If nature selects against it then it probably is better than man meddling.

As for fighting predators, look at any current hunting and gathering tribe, most are small people and yet they can do it (the San and Amazonian natives). The Hadza in Africa actually look for vultures circling, and know there is a lion kill near. They will run to the site and chase off the lions to steal the meat.

Collapse
ewbseldnaa profile image

there weren't always resources as we have today. in my opinion, humans prevailed then, and we will in the future. the capacity of our brains overpowers all of the brute force/strength any other species carry, today.